As we’ve covered a couple times already (here and here), the Golden State Warriors are pretty douchey. It’s only a matter of time before more sports fans wake-up and start to resent their behavior. The only thing keeping The Dubs as loved / non-hated as they are now is the adorableness of Steph Curry. Seriously, if dude wasn’t a small/skinny guy that played below the rim, the hate would already be oozing from couches and barstools alike.
It turns out that it’s not just the Warriors players that are straight up stunting on the rest of the NBA right now. Not even son. Joe Lacob, part-owner of the Warriors and highly successful venture capitalist, recently had a few thoughts on his organization as compared to the rest of the league. To say Lacob thinks highly of himself, would be putting it pretty fucking lightly. Peep this shit from a recent NYT article:
“We’ve crushed them on the basketball court, and we’re going to for years because of the way we’ve built this team,” he said. But what really set the franchise apart, he said, was the way it operated as a business. “We’re light-years ahead of probably every other team in structure, in planning, in how we’re going to go about things,” he said. “We’re going to be a handful for the rest of the N.B.A. to deal with for a long time.”
“In venture capital, I started 70 companies,” he told me. “I also watched my partners’ deals, maybe 200 of them. That’s a lot of companies. I thought about the way we design a board of directors, the way we design the financing. There’s an architecture to it. And I started thinking about the architecture I would use when I owned and built my own team someday.”
Translation: I built this fucking team and I should get the most credit for it.
Listen, I respect the shit out of entrepreneurs and guys that repeatedly successful in multiple industries over multiple decades like Lacob. But here’s the thing:
THE WARRIORS AREN’T AN AMAZING TEAM BECAUSE OF JOE LACOB.
Some quick and obvious reasons:
- Lacob has been playing Andrew Bogut $12 Million over the past 3 years while Bogut has been sidelined on the bench with injuries for a majority of that time.
- Lacob paid David Lee $15 Million a year to play in Golden State. By the time The Warriors were reaching their peak play, Lee was barely in Steve Kerr’s rotation. Lacob eventually had to cut Lee and pay out his contract.
- Speaking of Steve Kerr, it was Kerr who put in Draymond Green (the Dubs’ 2nd best player) after Lee went out with an injury in the beginning of last season.
- Regardless of Kerr’s coaching decision, Lacob was extremely lucky that Lee suffered the injury in the first place. Otherwise, Draymond most likely would have never had the breakout season he had last year.
- The Warriors were only able to pick up guys like Andrew Iguodala while also resigning Klay Thompson and Draymond Green to massive contracts because of Steph Curry’s chronic ankle injuries that plagued the first few years of his career. If Curry didn’t have those ankle injuries, the Warriors never could have kept Curry for the meager $11 Million per year he’s making for the next 2 years.
- Steve Kerr made the last-minute 180 degree turn to go to Golden State over the New York Knicks because of his family. Kerr already made a verbal commitment to Phil Jackson and was about to be the NYK head coach. Kerr landing in Golden State had little do to with Lacob.
I could go on and on. But you get the point.
Regardless of these obvious facts, there’s 1 major factor that Lacob’s absurdly douchey ego is also forgetting:
The Warriors have the greatest shooter in the history of basketball playing on their team. The Warriors have the greatest shooting backcourt in the history of basketball. The Warriors have one of the 5 most dominating teams in NBA regular season history. This is due to the players on the court. Not because of Joe fucking Lacob.